Labaw-Donggon (Excerpt) - Favorite Quotes!!

Yesterday, I was answering my Skill Builders (English subject) and one 'Challenger' story caught my attention. The selection was "Labaw-Donggon" from an adaptation by Mig Alvarez Enriquez. It was about the act of courtship and marriage ceremonies during the time of our Native Filipinos. And here I will show you all my favorite lines from the selection since it was very colorful and attention-worthy.


  • Quote #1:

"The love of women, which we realize,
Is wisdom of fools and folly of wise."


-Chorus
  • Quote #2:

"This stranger, who to you is unknown
Does honor a daughter who is not easily won,
As he knows by reputation
She is a well-kept one."

-Labaw Donggon

  • Quote #3:


"I am not a bad or malevolent man.
Only an ardent admirerOf a beautiful woman
Who, in my dreams, I saw
With hair cascading from over her shoulder
Like silken fragment of Halawud river."

-Labaw Donggon

  • Quote #4:

"A guitar she was strumming
In a hammock handwoven,
And the air cascading
From over her shoulder
Was like a fragment silken
Of the Halawud river."


-Labaw Donggon

  • Quote #5:

"You have a tongue
In silver dipped.
Your words must be weighed
To be believed."

-Abyang

  • Quote #6:

"White are the balanak you are,
And clean is your skin
As the inside of the split bamboo
Delightful and sweet are you.
As a flower I have seen
All covered with dew."

-Labaw Donggon

  • Quote #7:

"Tell me, tell me,
If you will always love me
Whether I be good or bad.
Young or old, pretty or ugly."

-Doronoon

  • Quote #8:

"I have seen her
And she approves of me.
We have spoken to each othe
rAnd all that is now necessary
Is to arrange for the dowry."

-Labaw Donggon

  • Quote #9:

"I am honored by your suit of my daughter's hand.
You are welcome to my house
You are welcome to my land.
As by the nature a cat runs after a mouse,
And a hawk swoops down upon chicks,
A man goes after a woman
And the very best he picks."

-Abyang



I'm so sorry it did not reach ten. The other stanzas were just not my type and the others COULD be quotable but not worth sharing that much. So, I hoped all of you had gotten something from this selection/post and please enjoy the rest of your day. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts