The Friend That Never Left (A Short Story)

I've been writing this for 3 straight days.
Hope you guys like it!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
I would just like to thank Arali, my friend, for inspiring me to write this little story. I also want to thank my friends... Dianne, Joanne, Christine, Catherine, Chesca, Ronna, Peter, Andrei, Karl, Kateleen, Angge, Mia and many others for having to always be there whenever I feel a little bit low. And to have always been my friend up until now.
Happy 9th Monthsary to my barkada!!
This thing is for you all. For being so good friends to me.

PROLOGUE
A friend is a person that, no matter how hard headed you are, accepts you for who you are and who you want to be. A friend is that one person that would leave then come back to give you that comfort ice cream and a shoulder to lean on if ever you have a certain problem. And a friend is the one that even though it does not speak, it gives you comfort and lets you know that he'll never go. And that he'll always stay in your heart forever.


"There goes the sun, Mihachi.." I say to him.

He does not reply to what I said though I am assuming that he's watching the sunset as well. He's always this quiet when we do this every now and then. I just wish he talked more. I just wished he talked at all. It would be much better. As the sun went by and finally left the horizon, I pat Mihachi on his back. He looks at me with his tongue stuck out. At my age of ten, I was assuming that he was happy. As he should be.

"Let's go home?" I asked in assurance.

He barks once and I stood up from the grassy fields. I kneel in front of him and I stare at his eyes. Bright blue eyes. He looked serious while I stared and he suddenly barks and starts to lick my face.

"Woah, boy.. Easy.. Easy.."

He continues to shower my face with saliva while I tell him to stop so that we could go home already. When he stopped, I wiped off all the saliva from my face and patted him on the back again.

"You really are a wild dog, aren't you, Mihachi? Always remember, I love you and you will always be mine. Okay?"

He barks. I assumed he understood what I told him. I stood up from kneeling down and walked. I knew Mihachi was following because he always does. You can tell with the constant sounds of the grass being stepped on aside from mine. And whenever I would feel like he's not there anymore, he barks. Maybe he knows when I get worried if I think he's already left me. As we arrived my house, mom told me to lead Mihachi to his mini house in our backyard. Mihachi's mini house was as big as me. I could actually come inside and accompany Mihachi for a little while before I go back in the house all dirty with mud. Especially when it starts to rain by the time I decide to leave Mihachi.

"Mom, do dogs realize how much we love them?" I asked.

"My dear little Louie, dogs realize much more than that. Maybe sometimes, the dog even loves you more than you could love him, to be honest."

"But how will I know if the Mihachi loves me too? You know, being unable to speak and all."

"You're his owner. Of course he loves you!"

"Yeah but I can't hear a word inside that little dog's head, let alone his bark! As far as I know, he might just be saying, 'Yow, dude. Who are you? What have you done to my parents? I am not Mihachi, you big stranger!' and I'm pouring out my heart and soul to him!"

"Dear, dogs don't work that way. That's why they're called man's best friend! Because you can rely on them anytime and they will even sacrifice themselves for the sake of their human alliance."

"How do they know that?"

"Dog instincts. You can never doubt that!"

"Okay."


5 years later...


I'm fifteen now. Going to prom. Though Mihachi won't let me leave the house. He's been standing in front of the door for hours and I'm sure that I'm already 2 minutes late!! Why won't Mihachi understand that I need to go to pick up Janice to go to prom?! Is he in some kind of stage in a dog's life wherein it doesn't let people inside the house go outside from some purpose or reason? That's it! I'm moving Mihachi! I don't usually pick up Mihachi-- Actually, I 'never' pick up and carry Mihachi because usually, he can walk by himself. When I moved Mihachi, he went all bummed out and sad.

"Sorry, boy. But I have to go." I say to him. He whines. "You'd understand if you were in my situation and I was in yours. I'll give you a treat when I get home, I promise."

And at that signal, I was able to leave Mihachi near the stairs. I went straight to the door and slammed it lightly before I went out completely. I felt a little sorry because I had to leave Mihachi in the house. I know mom and dad are also there but of course, they wouldn't play with Mihachi even for a millisecond. All throughout prom, I couldn't stop thinking about how Mihachi was doing. Yes, this has always been my dream--prom, Janice with me and the music and the food. Yes! Dream come true.. But I can't help thinking that I forgot someone important that I left behind. So before I completely went home, I stopped by a pet shop. The pet shop where we bought Mihachi over 5 years ago. They had his favorite dog treat. And I bought it. As I promised.

When I got home, I opened the door and I was sure, Mihachi was there. He was lying down on the very exact place I left him earlier. His head lifted and I approached him. I knelt in front of him.

"Remember what I promised?" he barked. "Yep! I got you you're dog treat!"

I took a treat and gave it to him. He nibbled and chewed on it. He munched and crunched. Afterwards, he licked me on the face though I made him stop immediately since there were still tiny bits of crumbs stuck to his tongue that was disgusting when it attaches to my face. He really stayed up the whole night just so he could get his appetite for the treats, did he? Cute.

Later on, it was time for me to bring Mihachi to his mini house. Though he wouldn't follow me outside. He suddenly turned worried and put his head down on the floor. Could this mean--?

A rumble and a shake. A wiggle of a tail. Mihachi went upstairs. I couldn't follow because I had lost my balance. Everything was all shaky and unstable. The walls were up for a crack. The floor was having friction with one another that lead to a bit of a mini turn up of a volcano. Picture frames on the wall were falling. One by one they would crash into pieces on the floor. I remain where I am. I couldn't call mom and dad because of all the damages and uncertainty of things. Suddenly, Mihachi appears. Going down from the second floor. And there follows mom and dad.

"Let's go! Let's go!" my parents were screaming to me.

We hurriedly went for the door while we're almost in a crouching or sitting position. We also saw people coming out of their houses just the same. They looked worried and crying and weakened. They didn't know what to do. Minutes later, it stopped.

The land was calm. The nearby sea was calm. It was as if it never happened at all. My parents and I knelt down and gave Mihachi a hug. Within the hug, I talked with Mihachi.

"You saved me and my family, boy. You're the best friend I could always have. Remember, I love you and you will always be mine. Okay?"

We released the hug and Mihachi gave me a sloppy lick on the face which meant he said he loved me too. I hope. I'm starting to get a hang of these kind of dog signals. I just laughed at the thought he was licking me again. I stood up and we went in the house to check for bumps, cracks and all sorts of dangerous things. I didn't allow Mihachi to go inside just in case he would get hurt so I lead him to his mini house. I couldn't come in anymore like I did when I was 10 years old 'cause if I did, his whole house might be torn apart. And when we got there to Mihachi's little house, it had a little crack. Much to my amusement, I let Mihachi stay with me in my room. We snuggled in one bed and we went to sleep. Like old time's sake, in his mini house.


3 years later...


Today, I am a man. I am eighteen. But since we have financial problems, we did not celebrate that much. We just went to McDonald's and ate there with a few friends of mine. Mihachi wasn't there because the establishment didn't allow dogs in. Me and my friends--Alvin, Drake, Raph, Judith and Sally--talked about college and stuff. On how we had coped up during the first day up to now. College Sophomores. Would you believe I got this far?

"Hey, how's your witty old friend eh?" Raph was teasing.

"Stayed in the house. He likes it there." I said.

"Ahh. I knew you two would be apart once in a while." Drake added.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Louie, you've been best friends with Mihachi for at least all the years of your life. Before you had us, it was him who had your world." Judith replied.

"Some time or another, Mihachi would just run away from you because he's had enough of you, remember that." Alvin said.

"Alvin!!!" scolded Sally.

"Well, it's true.. At least that's what happened to my pet cat, Leonardo." Alvin stated.

"Ohhh.. Leonardo Di Caprio, you're cat. I could've sworn it looked more like Leonardo Da Vinci." Raph said.

"Shut up, Raph. No one asked you. Anyways, Alvin is right. Some day or another, Mihachi will get tired of your drama and leave you like the spoiled dog he used to be. And will always be." said Drake.

"Look, guys! If you've had pets before and turned out just as you people say, then I'm sorry for your loss. But never will Mihachi leave me. He loves me.." I said, defending Mihachi.

"Shut up! You sound like a girl from a romance novel! Drop the drama and face reality. Mihachi will get tired and leave you."

"No, he won't! Shut up, guys. I'm getting tired of YOUR dramas." I said, ending the conversation.

I wouldn't want Mihachi to leave. I wouldn't want Mihachi gone. He's like the brother I never had. Since I'm an only child, I'm very fond of his company. He may not understand what I'm saying but he comforts me when I'm sad and joins in my happiness when I am jolly. He feels and accepts without even saying a word. He's.. my BEST FRIEND.


7 years later...


Today, I'm twenty-five years old. I've moved in to my own little house with my own little family. With Mihachi, of course. I got married at 20 and had my first child at 22. She's very beautiful. She's now three years old. She's also very fond of Mihachi as well. Mihachi, as you could have guessed is way more older than before. He can't run as fast as he used to. He can't carry his own weight more often anymore. But still, he's still the dog that I would always love. As well as Cathy, my daughter, and Catrina, my wife. Early in the morning before I would jog off to work, Mihachi and I would go to the nearby bay and stare at the rising sun. Just as we did before as it used to set.


5 more years later...


Cathy's POV

Today, I'm eight years old. My party is outside our front yard. Every body in the neighborhood showed up that I hardly actually knew anybody. So, I decided to go with Mihachi and escape from the party a little while. Mihachi is getting older by the minute. I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't want to run and follow me anymore when I'd jog with him. We were walking slowly down the street when a beep from a car had sounded from my ears. I looked at my right and I saw a car coming my way. I just stared and froze. I wanted to escape away but I just couldn't. How is this possible? My life suddenly flashes before my eyes. And suddenly, I fell on the ground. I stared at the scenario. Mihachi had pushed me away from the streets. I was saved. But he wasn't. I screamed Mihachi's name at the top of my lungs and ran to where he was now lying on. The floor. With lots of blood.

Dad arrived. He told me that everything was going to be alright even though I know it's not. Mihachi is dead. I could tell. He's had blood on the floor for minutes and it's dripping more. Dad called a vet. He asked if the vet was in and we got in our car. Dad drove us to the nearest vet possible. When we got there, I knew it was too late. Everything was too late. Mihachi, my family's best friend, was gone. Because he saved me.


EPILOGUE

Dear most loving masters,

Arf arf. Each and every one of you have been so very good to me. Arf arf. I never thought a human could be so nice to a dog like me before. Arf arf. All the while, I knew that humans were cruel people that never even cared about animals felt. Arf arf. But I knew right then, from the time you had adopted me, Master Louie.. I was a friend. I was family. I was treated as such. And I'm so thankful for it. I never knew how to repay your kindness so all I did was slop goo on your face. What do you call it? Saliva? Arf arf. I'm sorry for the times I can be so hard-headed. Arf arf. For all the times that I didn't want you to leave the house. Arf arf. And for all the times that I thought of running away. I'll also forgive the way you held me when you never did before. Arf arf. I'll forgive those moments you scolded me. Arf arf. And I'll forgive the times you never want me to repay your goodness with saliva. If all those we'd forgive and forget, maybe it won't be hard for you to forget me either, eh? I never knew my first act of goodness would be my last. Huh. I hope you, Cathy and Catrina will do well there on earth. I'm okay here. Sending you all the love I can.

Love your best friend forever,
Mihachi

P.S.
I'm always watching.

Comments

Popular Posts